Friday 26 August 2011

A Defensive Discussion with.......

Today, I would like you to meet Neal Trotman. The 25 year old centre back was born in Manchester, England and this summer signed with League One outfit, Rochdale A.F.C. Trotman started his career with Burnley as a youth team player, before Oldham Athletic took a chance on the young centre back in 2006.The Latics gave him his first team debut and since that day, Neal has been through a lot. From the highs of being bought for £500,000 by Preston North End, to the lows of being loaned out to more than one club in the same season. Football is a tough business but is now looking forward to the new season and hopefully some stability. Defensive Discussions was given the opportunity to catch up with the defender after this weekend’s game against old team, Oldham Athletic.

First of all, how are you settling into your new club Rochdale?

Very well, the lads are quality and made me feel right at home here. 

How did you find being a free agent?

The free agency process was quite exciting, but not playing much last season could have made it an anxious and emotional time. Luckily a few clubs contacted me and I am very happy with my decision, joining Rochdale.

What are your goals for the season both as a team and individually?

My goal is to play as many games as possible because there is nothing better than first team football. Team wise, to improve on our 9th place finish from last season and look towards the playoffs

I first met you as a youth team player at Burnley, which part of your game has improved the most since then?

I would say my understanding of the game has improved. I can read the game better and has made first team football a lot easier. It is hard for a young player coming into the 1st team football because experience almost puts a player one step ahead.

Best defender you have played with?

Sean St Ledger, Chris Perry and Radhi Jaidi were all good in their own right and learnt a lot from all three.

Best defender you played against?

Gerard Pique and Gabriel Heinze were different class when I faced them during their time at Manchester United.

You have played for eight professional clubs including Burnley, which team had the best banter?

I haven’t been at Rochdale long enough to put them in the mix. I would have to say Oldham and Burnley because I was a youth team player at the time and had a license to be immature.

Longest in the shower?

I would have to say our keeper, David Lucas


I would like to thank Neal for his time and wish him and Rochdale the best for the 2011/12 season. 

Find us on Twitter for even more discussions on defending,defenders and any other football related topics  @DefDiscussions

No comments:

Post a Comment