Monday 27 June 2011

Idiot Abroad

Today I would like to introduce the Grandson of a footballing legend and my best friend who finds himself playing in the Maltese Second Division. Ben Perry-Acton has had to deal with people knowing and referring to him as Bill Perry's Grandson since he started playing, Perry being the man that scored the winning goal for Blackpool in the 1953 F.A. Cup Final. So here is Ben's opportunity to step out of the shadow and finally talk about his own career instead of his Grandad's.




Name: Ben Perry-Acton
Age: 24
Team: Gharghur F.C., Malta, League 2
Previous teams: Wigan Athletic, Blackpool, Clitheroe F.C, Pieta Hotspurs (Malta) 

Favourite TeamBlackpool
Position: Left Wing Back



How Did You Start Playing Football?  I have played football since I can remember, my first memory was when my Dad took me down to a training session with the local Sunday League side when I was around four or five. My Grandad obviously had an impact too being a professional footballer.


Favourite Defender and Why? I would have to say John Terry due to him being strong, loud and a physical presence in that Chelsea defence. Strikers must hate facing him as he normally comes out on top over the attacker whether it be on the ground or in the air, the man is a true leader.


Defender of the Year? In the world? It has to be Jonny Evans (Ben jokingly replies) I haven't watched a lot of foreign football this year so for me it would have to be Leighton Baines who I have actually played alongside. He has come on leaps and bounds this year and love the whip he puts on those crosses.

Defender you play like? Again I would have to go with Leighton Baines or Ashley Cole but obviously not to that level. I have a good engine, love the attacking side of the game and deliver some pin point crosses into the box once in a while. Saying that I know my role as a defender and do enjoy that side of the game too.

You play in Malta what is the standard like? The standard is slowly progressing over here, we have teams competing in the Champions League Qualifiers and progressing further in the competition each year. If the F.A. allows a few more foreign players to play over here the league could progress quicker and maybe see one of our teams in the Champions League Group Stage.



How does it differ from the English style of play? It is a lot slower and just like many other European footballing cultures, players go down far to easy and roll around pretending to be hurt. Apart from that, they are improving technically but just like in England we have some feisty defenders out here who given an opportunity will snap you or put you into row z.


Do the Maltese people have a passion for Football? Oh definitely! I have never seen or played in front of such passionate crowds. Malta being a small island in the Mediterranean, the people have that fiery passion along with that famous short fuse. This all adds up to at least half of the games at the weekend end up in heated arguments or even brawls.


Are you looking to move back to England and play?  No definitely not, I have been there an done that and believe Malta is the place for me and my family at this moment in time.


How did you end up playing in Malta and was it for footballing reasons? At first it was, but as I became more accustomed to the Maltese lifestyle, I took a step back from playing football to find a job. As I moved here with very little I needed money to sort my life out. As soon as my finances and living situation improved, playing football once again became possible and found out how much I missed it once I started up again.

 
Finally if you were playing one on one with your Grandad, how many times would he of skinned you out of 100?  I would like to think I could stop him at least half the time but if I was being honest he would probably beat me 90 out of a hundred.


I would like to thank Ben for the interview and would like to congratulate Ben and his girlfriend Laura on the birth of their daughter Olivia.

2 comments:

  1. A quality player and a quality man, Ben. Good luck to you and yours in Malta

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers mate appreciate it! hope alls well at your end?

    ReplyDelete