Monday 20 June 2011

The Working Class Footballer



The week after F.C. Barcelona cemented their place as one of the greatest teams ever assembled I spoke with Danny Coid to talk about the life of a "working class footballer". At Wembley on that warm summer evening was not only the two best teams in Europe but two squads filled with multi-millionaires and after speaking with Danny, that's not every footballer’s situation.

To my readers who do not live in the UK and might not of heard about Danny, the 29 year old Liverpudlian is a full back who can play on either flank and has just ended a fourteen year association with Blackpool F.C. "Coidy" as he is known to his friends made his debut when he was only 18 years old and went on to make 263 appearances for the Seasiders. Along the way he was linked with clubs such as Liverpool, Celtic, and his boyhood favourite Everton. He was also at the club during my stint at Blackpool which I am sure is a highlight when he looks back on his time there. I only played with him a few times but he gave me a few pieces of advice that helped during my very short and uneventful career.

"It's great being a footballer, you hear it all the time but being paid for what you grew up loving is a good feeling. Obviously we are not paid as much as the Rooney's, Gerrard's, or Ronaldo's but we don't do badly" Danny Coid straight away wanted to point out that being a professional footballer is great but wanted 

to make sure I understood that he and many other players are not millionaires like people are lead to believe.



"Over 800 players are without a club just like me, its a tough career choice and can be stressful for some people. I still wouldn't want to do anything else despite the draw backs"


The similarities are apparent after talking to Danny between the working man and the majority of footballers. They have to pay bills, take out mortgages to buy a house, and have families to support, "I am the same as any other person, I need a club to support my family and if that means working away or taking a pay cut to gain stability then that's what I have to do." As 31st July approaches and players contracts are finally expired hundreds of footballers like Danny will be looking for a new club. With the current economic strain on many lower league clubs including the ones in the Championship, teams are looking for players that will instantly come into the side and make an impact. "You just have to sell yourself the best you can, I mean the scouting reports and video on myself will also impact a managers decision but the type of person you are can also set you apart." Coid explains and felt like his tone was changing from the laid back person I know to the mature family man who is focused on securing his immediate future.

Talking about free agency, I wanted more information about how it works and what it is like for players who actually made a league appearance. According to the PC game 'Football Manager' I have been a free agent since 2005 and believe me that is not changing anytime soon, but inquiries from unnamed clubs for Danny led me to find out more. "It’s a very lonely process and you are totally on your own which is quite scary, especially for me who has never experienced it before. Over 800 players are without a club just like me, it’s a tough career choice and can be stressful for some people. Clubs are not always looking for the best players because they are more expensive and may go for the younger, cheaper option so with few places to play for it can be tough. I still wouldn't want to do anything else despite the draw backs"

Another issue that the 'working class' footballer has to give serious thought to is the fact that their career of choice finishes in their late thirties, if not before. I put the question to Coid about his future and has he gave it any thought, "Yes, I am already working on a project with a couple of other people that work with teenagers that have made a few bad choices and are not attending school due to incidents with the law. What we do is not only give them days out to enjoy and be kids again but help them focus on their future and hopefully at the end of it find a job." A partner of his on the project is Newcastle United's Ryan Taylor who is a lifelong friend of Danny's and asked him how his life has changed since he made it into the big time, "Well he used to pull up to my drive in a Ford Fiesta and now it’s a Range Rover along with expensive watches that are worth more than that Fiesta" Danny laughs.



"Great memories and scoring was brilliant and one that I will never forget"

Danny has had success in his own right that the nine till five working man could never experience. He has played at the Millennium Stadium twice without losing, scoring against Southend in the LDV Trophy Final, and being promoted from League two in 2001, "Great memories, scoring was brilliant too and one that I will never forget"

So we have learned that not all footballers have fifty houses around the world, drive nine cars, and have money is Swiss bank accounts. The life of a 'working class' footballer can be a very rewarding but very risky and one that only a small percentage succeeds in. I wish Danny all the best in his future career and his new project which is a great cause (link below). I would like to finish by thanking him for giving me this exclusive interview and an insight into the life of a footballer.



http://proactivefitnesstraining.co.uk/home-663.html







1 comment:

  1. Congratulations to Danny who signed a contract with Accrington Stanley....Hope it all goes well for you mate!

    ReplyDelete